View Single Post
Old 2004-10-15, 00:21   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
Well as I see its all in the past. Today's generation is different from then why should the Japanese people and other countries who have committed horrible crimes in the past apologize for something their generation had nothing to do with. I'm part Chinese and I'm sad about what happened to the Chinese people during WWII but I don't blame the Japanese people today. The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, so what. I and the people of Hawaii don't hold any resentment towards them for that. now we have thousands of Japanese tourists visiting the Arizona Memorial every day, ironic isn't it.
well, I agree with the "get over the past and face the future" attitude. However the problem here is not rather people asking the Japanese' apology, but some Japanese try to say there's was no Nanking Massacre in history. So if anyone is not getting over the past, it's those Japanese right wing extremists. I myself don't really agree with some Asians' attitude (like from some left wing extremists) like every single Japanese owes them because of WW2, but now it's some Japanese who feel like they have to bring up the history about WW2 again and again and try to say things like the Nanking Massacre doesn't exist and/or Japan was not the wrong side in WW2, and when something happens to depict the truth of the past, they feel the need to erase it, and that becomes a problem.

If some Japanese right wing extremists feel like they can't accept the truth of the past and get over it, it's their problem. And if they feel like they have to "correct" the history their way, and erase anything leading to the truth of the past, we shouldn't let them do that. To get over the past, the first step is to accept the truth of the past. I don't think someone who always refuse to accept history can truly "get over the past", they are just trying to escape the reality.

Quote:
Japan's current situation reminds me a lot of post WWI Germany , where the sentiment was that the only thing we did wrong was that we lost. Actually, now that I think about it, it's a lot like post WWI Germany. They have the depression/recession thing going, people are unhappy, disillusioned, and they want a strong leader that can push reforms as the damned parliament can't get anything done. I wonder if we'll see a Japanese Hitler in the coming years.
I really hope that's not what's happening in Japan... sure that China has nuclear weapons now, but Japan also has enough nuclear capability and some Japanese outright say that currently they don't have nuclear weapons only because they don't want to make them, and if they want to, they can make them anytime. And a lot of Asian countries don't have any nuclear capability neither... so we can only hope US or China can intervene for us if something bad happens

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-10-15 at 00:34.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote