View Single Post
Old 2004-10-15, 02:21   Link #14
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
LOL... I'm pretty sure they know that waging war is not such a good idea and besides Japan's constitution will never let that happen. Ever wonder why Japan still want America's military around. That's because Japan's military forces is really weak against any sort of attack. Their military is mainly for defensive purposes. They wouldn't last a hour if China ever decides to invade.
Hmm... I think you are overestimating China's military prowess quite a bit while underestimating Japan's a lot. The JSDF Navy is quite strong, while China's Navy's military power mainly lies in its man power, which isn't much when the technology and equipment are so outdated compared to JSDF Navy. I think a study conducted in 2002 concluded that if there is really a war between China's Navy and JSDF Navy, JSDF Navy will more likely come out victorious as there are just too many outdated ships in China's Navy. And land troops won't be of any use if they can't even get to the land. There's no use of having 300 thousands people in the Navy in battle if they don't have proper ships and equipment, except maybe more food to the fish...

And while I don't know whether we have right or not to force the Japanese to accept the truth, they certainly have no right to try to "change the truth". It's those right wing extremists who think they can "correct" the history their way, and those militarists who think the only thing wrong Japan had done in WW2 was losing the war, those kind of stuffs pose problems, and potential dangers in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Japan realizes that waging war is wrong. I think that they realize that more than any other country on earth. Hiroshima taught them well. That isn't the lesson that they haven't learned from the past.
Well, Hiroshima only taught them that if they are not strong enough, they shouldn't wage wars, else they'll get beaten badly. What Japan should really realize is that waging war in itself is wrong, invading others and stealing lands and resources from them are intrinsically wrong, despite how strong it may become in the future. They should realize (along with all other countries in the world) that even if they have enough power to take over the world, it's still wrong to do so. Hiroshima is more like a "scare lesson", like scaring little kids by beating them up when they do something wrong, for example stealing. But they should realize stealing in itself is wrong. If all they have learned is "if I steal, I get beaten up by Papa", then when they grow up and think "Papa can't beat me now", they'll start stealing again, which will harm both others and themselves.

==========================

EDIT: to the post below : hmm.. yup, I actually think this could be merged with that Zipang and politcs thread, and move the whole thing to general discussion, rename it to something like "politics, manga, anime, WW2, Japan" because both threads have not much to do with manga nor anime... and I actually mentioned this piece of news more than a day before CNN in that thread, with links to the original Japanese sites nonetheless

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-10-15 at 03:43.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote