View Single Post
Old 2012-05-20, 06:27   Link #33
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntingShock View Post
Last Question. I guess...
  • What's the best(or most used by anime encoders) program for burning anime episodes to dvds which will be played on a DvD Player? and...
  • Is .vob my best bet for the file extension in a DvD?
These are non-trivial questions, so let me answer in a way that's a bit more informative:

"VOB" itself is not a real format. It's a part of the full DVD-specification. You don't simply create VOB files, you have to create the entire DVD-video structure (which also includes files for the menu/track information).

There are two ways that you can playback video from DVDs... One is to create real "video DVDs" that have conform to the video DVD specification. These should be playable on pretty anything that calls itself a DVD Player.

The other option is to simply use a DVD formatted as a data DVD, and copy video files onto it like AVIs, mp4s, etc. In this case, you have to check the specifications of your DVD players carefully. Many recent DVD players/PLaystation 3s/Xboxes etc can play back all kinds of video files. Divx (i.e. xvid) compatibility is quite commonplace. But every device has different specifications, and often certain encoding settings can break playback on certain devices.

So, if you have a particular device you want playback to work on, you can find some encoding settings that work for that device, copy the files onto a DVD, and boom, you're done.
But you won't be guarrenteed that that data DVD will be playable on any other device.
The only truly supported standard is the video DVD standard.

But, there are a lot of disadvantages to the DVD standard.
First, you're limited to using MPEG-2 as the video compression.
Second, you're limited to a resolution of 720x480 (anamorphic to either 4:3 or 16:9) (for NTSC).
Finally, you're limited to a maximum bitrate of around 9000 Kb/s.
In practice you shouldn't compression more than 4 episodes on a single layer DVD unless you want compression artifacts to show up.

The process of creating a video DVD is not that hard and there's plenty of software out there.
Briefly:
1. Setup an Avisynth script that puts the subtitles on the video, does any filtering you want, and finally resizes the video to 720x480.
2. Encode that avisynth script using Henc, making sure to set the aspect ratio to 16:9 for widescreen, and making sure to select 3:2 pulldown if your episode is at 23.976 fps.
3. Encode the audio to AC3 (you can use PCM if you want but it lowers the maximum bitrate for video significantly).
4. Use any of the nice free DVD creation programs out there to mux together the video and audio and create a simple DVD-structure.
5. Burn the DVD structure to a disc and test it out.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote