View Single Post
Old 2009-06-26, 23:03   Link #170
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
You don't quite comprehend how broken this is, do you. I shall have Atomic Robo give you a better sense of scale here.

Spoiler for size:

If Haruhi sends the Earth back in time to it's original position every 20 days for over 500 years, the effect won't just be earth being in a funky orbital position in our solar system. The Earth will soon NOT be in the Solar system. It may not even be in the Orion arm. It probably won't even be in the milky way galaxy anymore. Changing the recorded history and memory of astronomy won't change the fact that everyone is freezing to death due to there being no nearby heat source to keep us alive.
Well, first off, it's every 14 days, but that's not material to the discussion. If perhaps you had bothered reading what I wrote instead of just snipping it out of hand, you might have realized that I wasn't suggesting that Earth moves back to its original position. Quite the contrary. How would she move it to somewhere where, by the bounds of the theory, she has no power? And how does one misread "In other words, the position of Mars in the night sky would move forward 14 days each time they do the stargazing"? She's not changing the positions of any celestial bodies when she resets time, Earth included. She just subconsciously resets things back two weeks for everyone on Earth, and sub-subconsciously cooks the books so that no one notices that the stars (or planets) are in the wrong places.

But again, it's just a theory, and one with a lot of holes (Yuki's description of her discovery by the Data Overmind, as noted above) and easier explanations (they're stargazing later in the night, also as suggested above), but let's be honest. Just turning back the clock is boring, and this isn't a science paper, it's an anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Who says the many-worlds interpretation is actually true? We really can't prove most of the interesting concepts quantum physics comes out with, because we have no way of measuring things like this.

It's really up to the writes of a sci-fi story to define what a "multiverse" is, in this case.
QFT. In my day they called that stuff theoretical physics, and last I checked, no one has yet found any parallel/alternate/whatever universes in order to prove any of it, so it's all just smoke blowing. Nobel-level smoke blowing, admittedly, but a lot of times that's all it is until someone accidentally contaminates the Staphylococcus culture or sticks their hand in front of the Crookes tube.