View Single Post
Old 2012-04-01, 13:09   Link #14
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

By some of your posts i deduce that you consider laws or a system able to govern the society a positive thing, while you consider what Light is doing a wrong thing:

what i'm trying to point out is that both are wrong: even laws are a wrong things, but we are educated to see them as a necessary things, and in the conditions we are in, they actually are necessary. By seeing them necessary, we eventually tend to see them as positive, but they in fact aren't. In regard to this, i brought the example of an utopic view of the world, where everyone is able to control himself and is "good": there you wouldn't need laws, because there wouldn't be people doing things that would require laws to forbid them.

But the world is polluted with "evil" (remember my initial definition of good/evil), and so we need some countermeasures in order to reduce it to minimum, and those measures comes in the terms of: laws, a governative system, a police body and so on. They are all wrong, but they are the least evil, and we tend to see them as positive, but in reality they aren't since they limit our freedom (don't misunderstand here: in the conditions we are, they are necessary, but you can't say they are "right"). The fact is that man should be able to auto impose to his own self these rules, still having the freedom of doing everything. Since the man isn't able to do so, we need laws that try to prevent, stop and punish "evil".

Now, taking into account that such measures (Laws, governative systems, etc) aren't right, so isn't what Light is doing. The only difference is that we come to the point that we see the first as "right" and the second as "wrong", when they are both wrong. They both aim to the "greater good", but the second does it in a harsher way, and especially, in a way that doesn't hide the evil within. This said, if you go again through what i wrote, they could both be considered an approximation of good (remember the example of measuring the distance between moon and earth? The result of your measure will be wrong, but it's a good approximation of the right value). What i invited you to do was to try to see what Light was doing as an approximation of what is right, still being wrong within.

The issue of "killing criminals" is still wrong, but i guess it can't be helped: the anime was made in a way where the only real weapon was a note able to kill. Maybe if that note was able to indefinitely paralyze those so called criminals, we would have seen it under another light, but the only thing it can do is killing, and Light tried to extract the most "good" out of it, even tho, as you previously said, you cannot obtain good from evil deeds(here laws come again: they are an evil way to obtain good, even tho the evil is barely noticeable in them, taking into account how the society educates us.)
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote