View Single Post
Old 2006-04-20, 14:25   Link #63
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
Which leads me to believe that the disc format wars accodring to anime, will be based upon what HD media that the Otkau will be watching in 2k7/2k8 rather than what the world is watching at that time.
That's certainly plausable, and I think it was accurate in the past... but I wonder if it holds true in today's market. I don't know either way... I haven't done enough research on the notion to do anything more than blindly guess ^^

I seem to recall seeing Laser Disc anime releases long after the rest of the world stopped releasing media on Laser Disc... it'll be interesting to see if that holds true in the modern era of DVR's, BT downloads, and the rise of the internet. The Japanese anime fan certainly has the money to get his voice heard... the average JP limited edition DVD release holds a TON more extras than anything you'll ever see released in the US, although even those extras seem to be tapering off a bit in content/quality.

We'll probably have to wait a few years to see which way the market's going... but it should be interesting ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
I guess they wised up, that it's better to have Japan and the USA grouped together. the good fortune we have had is now over, curse you blu-ray! *sob*

*gets ready to buy a HD-DVD player*
IF you buy a HD-DVD player, and Kyo-Ani does release a Blu-Ray ver. of Haruhi, you won't be able to watch it ^^

Honestly, if the HD wars end with Blu-Ray winning (no guarantee either way) the single region might be a really good selling point (for at least a small portion of the market {US Anime fans ^^}).