View Single Post
Old 2009-08-29, 06:26   Link #46
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't know if I'd call her the pure antagonist for the show. The goal, after all, is not to defeat Haruhi, but rather to manage her.
This still makes her the antagonist, though.

Quote:
In fact, that's what a lot of the discussion on this thread is about. Itsuki, Mikuru, and Yuki aren't trying to change Haruhi, or to reform her as though she was a pure antagonist. They're not taking a pro-active approach and trying to actually reason with her. They're just trying to have events unfold in a way that pleases her, and manages her psychological state in a way that will prevent problems from arising. And they do this almost entirely on a case-by-case basis.
You are right here. However, as you said, Only Koizumi and his Organization have any motivation to do so. The reason they don't do nothing, in my opinion, is they are scare to death of her. I mean, as far as they know and believe, Haruhi is someone wo can destroy/remake the universe at any momment for the most trival things. They are not going to rist trying to change her, as this would possible make things even worse.

Quote:
I sympathize with her in the sense that there's nobody that fully shares her interests. Kyon holds those same interests to a degree, but nowhere near as passionately as Haruhi does; of course, that's partly (if not largely) due to how Haruhi is so energetic while Kyon is so, well, lazy usually.

Haruhi really has nobody to be a close personal friend with. Kyon shares her interests to a degree, but not her intensity. Tsuruya shares her intensity (just about), but not her interests.
Interesting way to think here. Never have see it by that angle.

Quote:
And Itsuki, Mikuru, and Yuki are just trying to manage and/or observe her. It's also a little bit dehumanizing the way that Kyon, Itsuki, Mikuru, and Yuki frequently view Haruhi. They want her to be happy not for her own sake, but for the world's.
Well, most would find kinda hard thinking in anyone else while theworld is being destoryed. I would also like to point that Nagato don't give a damn to the world and Mikuru don't eve believe it is in danger (as she comes from a future that the world still exist). For Kyon, it seen he cares for Haruhi more then Koizumi. We can see in the Day of Sagitarius he thinks like you and believe a lost would be a benefit for Haruhi (he did allow the win not for Haruhi's sake, but for Nagato's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
The only thing that feels absurd to me about the whole issue is the "John Smith" thing. Honestly, there are many things wrong with the mentality of the whole issue. Why would she be so concerned about a guy that she knew for one day and treated him like crap the entire time. Not to mention, that the time-span was only 3 years and even in that period of time, she should be able to know who Kyon is by then.
I don't understand you here. BLR makes clear she still thinks in that Tanabata. John Smith is important because what he said after the work. You would be right if he had just gone after that, however, he is to Haruhi the first evidence that something strange is happening. Not just he did completely vanish after that but he mentioned he didn't "met any slider yet". If this is not a translation error, then the phare carry a huge meaning that Haruhi probably just understood after have gone.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-29 at 06:43.