View Single Post
Old 2010-10-11, 09:45   Link #49
Kakkou
Tch.

I did say "seems that the animation and style is nicer" before going on about the designs. That's virtually the only thing I'm not very comfortable with in the ova. Everything else is good or even better, hence the nicer animation and style portion of my post. I don't even think anyone else here has actually expressed worry about the adaptation job itself. I certainly didn't.

On the subject of character design, I'm not one of those who go "they changed it so it sucks now" regarding adaptations, this is very much my own personal preference speaking. Had I never had exposure Yasuda Suzuhito's work, I'd still find the designs to be not quite my liking except I wouldn't harp on it as much as I currently have. Also fyi, I hold the doujin animation scene in rather high regard, both in and out of nico, so comparing it to that is by no means an insult. What I meant by some parts were mostly about the look like the lineart background at the beginning, somewhat flat colouring and slightly rougher lines. You could say Ryo-chimo's visual style itself makes me think of doujin animation, except with far more fluidity and choreography and to me most of the time it's not a bad thing.

Hell, there were parts of the OP I loved (The brief fight + tuning of the fallen lizard, Hime slapping her scarf around Akina's head and overall direction, to anme a few.) that I was planning on commenting on when I've finished watching the whole thing.

Long story short, no one's ditching it just because of the designs. We just don't quite like them, but that's it. It's Yozakura Quartet, it's gonna take a lot to make me dismiss anything related to it. So I dislike the new look, but other than that I have no real complaints. Heck, if I hadn't used up my hobby funds the past few months I'd have purchased vol.9 with the OVA by now. Only speaking for myself, I do admit I have been beating on the chara design dislike like a dead horse (here and elsewhere) so I'll apologise that much.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2010-10-11 at 10:00.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote