Thread: Apple IPad
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-10, 07:14   Link #199
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'd just like to chime in with some thoughts on some of the features you listed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
$500
New iPad - Best screen on the market, only 16 GB for base model. No MicroSD for expansion. 2048x1536 resolution
Infinity - Second best screen, 32GB Base model. Flash for the camera. MicroSD for more storage. 1920 x 1200 resolution
It's true that the iPad lacks a camera flash, and I would not be surprised if the Infinity's camera were better overall. It's pretty awkward to use a tablet to take a photo of something, though, and that's doubly true when you have a nice case on it.

For example, my iPad's case has a cutout for the camera, but the case is like the covers to a book. Normally the front cover that protects the screen is folded behind the iPad when it use, but this blocks the camera. In order to use the camera, then, I need to hold that cover away from the back at least a little bit, but I can't put it back over the front because it would block the camera controls. So, on top of the awkwardness of holding such a large device to take a photo, I also need to hold out the front of the case.

Everyone has different uses and expectations, but the majority of cellphones have cameras now; I'd say to use that instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
$379-400
iPad 2 - Basically a New iPad without the excellent screen and only 512MB RAM. God awful camera compared to any of the other 3 tablets listed here. 16GB base model. Can be found for $350 when on sale. 1024×768 resolution
T300 - Basically a gimped Infinity with an inferior display. 512MB More RAM than iPad 2. MicroSD 1280x800 resolution
I've heard the arguments made that Android tablets are a better deal and/or more capable based on hardware specification comparisons. The counter-argument used to be that it didn't matter, because somehow Android was still slower and less responsive than iOS. Based on what you've written it sounds like Android may have caught up, but the point still stands that the hardware specs - at least, on Apple's side - aren't a critical factor. Newer hardware will always be faster, but the user experience and capabilities of the machine are the same. It only becomes an issue near the machine's end of life, when it's receiving some updates that put it to its absolute limits.

TL;DR: software is more important than hardware specifications when it comes to performance on tablets.