View Single Post
Old 2007-01-12, 09:02   Link #1
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I know this part of the forum is specifically meant to cater to Kanon topics, but I feel that having such a thread, discussing a different but closely related anime series to Kanon, has its merits. There are certainly plenty of superficial similarities between Kanon and AIR; both are derived from KEY's games, both are works of Jun Maeda, both are adapted by KyoAni, and because of that, both have exceptional animation etc. etc.

However, there are also other, deeper similarities between Kanon and AIR that I believe is worth discussing about, and I also believe that such discussion would help viewers of both series to appreciate them all the more, through the act of putting one in the context of the other.

I refer you to this post I have made, in the "Kanon 2002 vs. Kanon 2006: Images, Script, Story, Animation, etc." thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
In actual fact, the choices Yuuichi makes in Kanon regarding each of the 5 girls is very, very similar to that of the choices made by another male lead in another anime series, in regards to the latter's 3 girls. Can anyone guess who that male lead is, and what that anime series is?

Yes. It's none other than Kunisaki Yukito, of AIR.

Yukito helps Kano exorcize the grief of her past life from herself, allowing her to shake off the baggage of the past and live free. He helps Minagi reconcil with her mother, and to reconcil with herself at her own guilt for Michiru's fate. And ultimately, he sacrifices himself to save Misuzu's life, and indirectly, to end the cycle of reincarnation and suffering that each of Kannabi no Mikoto's incarnations are fated to go through. In Misuzu's case, again there is the slight hint of romantic love involved; but once again, Yukito gets involved in the troubles of all 3 girls because, in the end, he's just like Aizawa Yuuichi; just isn't bloody heartless enough to stand by and watch someone suffer, without bloody well doing something about it. In the end, he doesn't really get any of the girls, does he? Nope; but he's achieved so much more, and changed the lives of three other people as a result.

That is the task lying in front of Yuuichi right now; except he's got to do even more work than Yukito, what with 2 more girls than Yukito to trouble himself about and all. Well, at least he isn't in any danger of having to sacrifice himself.

If you have watched AIR, compare it to the events of Kanon, and it would be easier for one to truly understand for the first time why Aizawa Yuuichi does as he does, and at the same time less likely to misunderstand Kanon as 'just another harem series, and a poorly-done one at that'. And that is why I have come to my conclusion that Yuuichi can achieve the best results for both Ayu and Nayuki, the 'best endings' if one may say so, without actually getting either of them as a romantic partner.
This is the kind of discussion I hope to encourage amongst the board's posters, through the creation of this thread. I await your response.

Last edited by xris; 2007-01-12 at 12:41.