Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-24, 05:12   Link #3262
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

So, quickly went through this ep. Couple of things that stick out in my mind:

1) Pirates really love chinese food.

2) Legendary Chef's son makes a mean ABC.

3) Ririka still has her skills, even after being retired for a while.

4) Misa is handling the whole Kane-Shane switch very calmly.

Given that the Empress of the Galactic Empire apparently sent Ironbeard after Quartz, and given his tone towards her - firm, no overt aggression, this is for your safety, the Empress has commanded your return - makes me suspect that Quartz is the heir to the Imperial Throne, and she's out and about as a recognised pirate to 1) get some experience outside the castle, 2) placing the Empress' heir in a place of relative safety, given the firepower Grand Cross possesses. There's something similar in the British Royal Family, where the men are expected to serve in the Forces; currently Prince Harry has qualified as an Apache pilot with the aim of deploying in Afghanistan. Given that the Apache is the next best thing to a flying tank (after the A-10), it's the safest place for him to be.

I've heard suggestions before that according to the light novels Gonzaemon comes from a Navy/Pirate family, and was a commissioned officer of the Imperial Navy; his position as Captain of the Bentenmaru would then be very useful for people in intelligence work. I speculate that not only is he really Ironbeard, but he and the Parabellum are roving troubleshooters on Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Incidentally this isn't the first time this has happened; in the Vorksigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, the main character eventually ends up in command of a mercenary fleet, in addition to his normal job as an Government Courier, which is a cover for his actual job as an intelligence agent. Said fleet came in handy for more than a few missions requiring a deft touch.

That said, Ironbeard being Marika's dad... possible, but I think that'd be too convinient. More likely he's an uncle or something, given how he's got the same blue eyes as Ririka and Marika.

...also Ririka in that catsuit is win.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote