View Single Post
Old 2008-10-17, 22:54   Link #496
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I believe you're correct about the anime, but I think it's a missed opportunity for two big reasons. First, the relationship between Birdy and Senkawa is a legitimately interesting one. She teases him in a sort of big-sisterly way, but there's a genuine affection and protectiveness there - what started out as feelings of guilt for her obviously grew into something much more real. There's also an underlying whiff of sexual tension. Those things combined make for an interesting whole.

Second, the massive under-utilization of the shared body concept in the anime. When you strip away the more conventional aspects of the series, that concept is the main dramatic driver of the story - the convention that sets it apart. Not touching on the obvious emotional complications of that experience ignores much of the possibility that could be mined from the premise. Clearly, the manga doesn't make this mistake. I'm not saying this should be a drowsy slice-of-life comedy - I like all the action just fine. But adding the emotional and even romantic entanglements inherent in the premise to the final product would take the anime to another level. Hopefully we'll see more of that in season two.
Well, even in the manga, the main focus is action (no volume goes by without Birdy getting into one fight or another - and if it's not her doing the fightnig then someone else ), but indeed, the anime choose to not focus a lot on their relationship and the circumstaqnces around it, instead focusing on the whole Ryunka-plot of theirs <_<. Ah well, maybe they'll do a better job of focusing on thir relationship and it's circumstances (etc) in the next season indeed, althrough I have my doubts abut them being able to do that .

Ah well... I do rather like one thing about the anime though: so far in the manga, Senkawa hasn't gotten to visit Birdy's homeplanet like he did in episode 4-5 - so far all we have seen so far of her homeplanet is mostly in the chapters concering Birdy's past as well as in those instances where Megius and Skeletsu becomes the focus of the story (mostly because they're discussing Birdy of course).
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote