View Single Post
Old 2004-11-20, 09:37   Link #44
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by STfan
I must say, I'm glad I wasn't born a Singaporean. I hear you get lashed and whipped for litter.
I am surprised that where you are born, a monetary fine is considered to be lashing and whippings. I think that there must be lots of lashing and whippings in your country then, since monetary fines are a common penalties for offences.

Corporal punishment in Singapore is only caning. Lashing and whipping as corporal punishment is unheard of in Singapore. Caning is also reserved for aggrieved criminal offences, e.g. rape, assault and battery, rioting, etc. The 'lightest' criminal offence which can receive the sentence of caning is recalcitrant vandalism, which means a continual act of miscreant that results in high property damages to a community.

I fail to see where a minor offence like littering which is not even criminal, gets corporal punishment. One wonders where the source of these lies are from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "MakubeX2
Just a scare tactic by them, at most just limit your D/L until the storm passes.
Yep, that is what I have been mentioning too. It is unfortunate that many have been thinking "Si liao ar, zeng hu lai cui wa liao. Siao liao!" ( "OMG, the government is coming after me. This is crazy!" ).

Fact is the government is unconcerned with small fries to show their conviction of the law. The likely cases where they would go after individuals would be if the corporations come with evidence to the government and asked them what the government intend to do with the specified recalcitrant offender.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote