View Single Post
Old 2012-05-13, 19:43   Link #8237
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
See, that's moral relativity talking right there. We're using our own value systems to judge something that doesn't necessarily have the same values. Mind you, I completely understand everyone's disgusted reactions at it, but personally, I hate anyone who tries to impose their value system onto other people. The only thing that should be able to change it is personal decision and revelation. Needless to say, using force is out of the question.
I have a simple answer to this. Stripping in front of a large group of people clearly goes against what Yukino, the victim, views as right (judging by how it affected her). It also looked like others in sabertooth shared the same thought (Sting's comment on how their master was too extreme for example).
Might be taking a bit extreme, but let's take a rapist. Let's say he was raised in an environment where he ended up believing that rape was a good thing and morally correct. His victims think otherwise, they are abused and forced to do something they viewed as wrong. Just because the rapist views it as right, should he go unpunished?
You might say that Yukino wasn't forced to strip, she could have walked away. But is that really true? Not everyone is strong willed enough to handle such a situation. She was distraught by her loss already and told by an intimidating man to strip in front of a room full of people she seemed to respect, but no one even tried to help her, they just stared at her. A room of people staring at you and after you believe to have let them down. Can you imagine the pressure that she was under?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I don't know. I definitely have a few things to say about anyone who joins a guild without even being aware of its goals and philosophies. I can accept it if she was maybe tricked or forced, but if you're arguing that she was downright ignorant, she deserved what she got.

Once again, I reiterate that all my statements were made under the assumption that Yukino joined and stayed at the guild of her own free will.
Look at Lucy, she joined FT after only hearing about it and seeing them party a bit (you could say she also had Natsu as an example but she already wanted to join before meeting him). FT could have been a happy go lucky guild on the outside but have very dirty dealings in the background.

If you idolize something, you tend to ignore its faults. She idolized ST, she probably didn't know about how extreme the master could be and the little bad rumors here and there could have easily be dismissed. Do you believe ST would get the overwhelming support of the people in the tournament if Yukino's humiliating scene was shown to everyone? Certainly not.
Is it her fault for joining the guild without knowing their true philosophy (assuming she didn't and I doubt very much she did) and extreme punishments? It could be argued that...yes it is. Then again you can't really know how the guild truly works away from the public eye until you actually join them. Kinda like, you may be dating someone for a while, but you never know that person's true habits at home until you move in together. Many relationships end at this point because of how different and incompatible people can be when living together (when away from the public eye)
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote