View Single Post
Old 2009-02-04, 05:06   Link #1928
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
In that case, the definition of "energy" is clearly different from the scientific concept. I have no problem with this - it is after all, hardly a scientific paper in any way. The problem is when you decide to try and smash it against the scientific concept.
... The way you phrased that makes it sound as if I was the one who began smashing it against scientific concepts.

Me being one of the leading members of the 'it's magic, it doesn't work like regular science' pack, that sounds silly.

Quote:
The point is that most of what you claimed is not really so different in many ways from what is possible. As for the claim magic can accomplish all this with only "minor" alterations, we know so little about the details of magic that it is entirely possible, even probable, that saying it can accomplish all this with "minor alterations" is similar to a hypothetical sentience entirely made out of magic particles saying that we accomplish what we do with only "minor alterations" to fermions. After all, no matter which atom in what combination, it is electrons, protons and neutrons (going down to bozons and all those quantum particles).
With 'minor' I mean that a single mage doesn't need months of work in a huge factory with many helping hands and massive resources from outside the body to fly, whereas someone who wants to fly a plane would first need to have one constructed with said problems.

Quote:
By the way, the fact you can concentrate mana is another clue as to its nature as a massive, rather than massless particle.
Even though it is blatantly labeled an energy in the booklets? Not to mention the part that says it doesn't lose any power over distance, that sounds more like an energy that something material being launched. In fact, that bit is in clear contradiction of Storm's point in 1.