View Single Post
Old 2011-11-30, 01:05   Link #2242
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Another topic:
I've been dying to know this one: what made old and current fans alike like Ranka?
Doesn't have to be from the beginning and it doesn't have to be specifically about the movies (though I'd aim more towards the series cause I already know what a lot of people think of her movie self). Just tell me what you guys liked about Ranka in general even if you chose to pick Sheryl in the end. What made you like her in the beginning?
As I mentioned waaaaay above TL;DR I liked series Ranka's character better when I mistook her for a preteen. From that perspective, I found her immature behavior more tolerable if not understandable. I also didn't even consider that she was a viable choice for Alto's romantic affections because of this. Basically, things were much simpler before my blinders were removed.

Even now, probably due to my initial misunderstanding, I don't see Alto ever being romantically involved with Ranka in the series. However, movie-Ranka is an entirely different story. The movies really established a clear-cut triangle, requiring Alto to make a choice. Even though he ended up choosing Sheryl over Ranka, it seemed that Ranka really had a chance to win Alto's heart. Overall, I enjoyed both movies more than the series, mostly because the movies managed to polish the rough edges of the series. I'm thankful for having watched the series before watching Itsuwari no Utahime, because I was able to appreciate (and to a lesser degree, understand) the differences.