View Single Post
Old 2012-09-19, 20:09   Link #30693
jjblue1

I think the general idea about Yasu and her past is that her past doesn't serve as a motive but to get us to understand her mindsetting so that we are supposed to understand why she decided to kill (or to write stories in which she killed) for a certain motive.

It's sort of saying that without knowing Rosa and Maria's relation, how Rosa deals with her, how important is Sakutarou and which are Maria's beliefs we wouldn't understand why Maria would dream to become a witch and murder her mother in the most gruesome ways, merely because Rosa broke one of her toys in punishment.

However with Yasu things become more troublesome as while MetaMaria's actions are dismissed as an 'innocent' fantasy of PieceMaria it's not so easy to apply the same reasoning to Yasu even when we assume that PrimeYasu is innocent and PieceYasu is only a fantasy.

That is because no one is actively trying to judge MetaMaria's for killing her mother repetitely and anyway Maria's situation is depicted so well that even if her actions are wrong you can understand how she could snap.

PieceYasu is however being judged and, through her, indirectly we're judging PrimeYasu and Ryukishi himself.

PieceYasu isn't a random fantasy disconnected by the context, it's part of a carefully studied story that is supposed to be realistic so we expect her motive to be realistic or at least deemed realistic by who wrote her.
In short it's like her author is telling us that 'people can kill for this reason' but the reason in itself is simply too weak. Now we can try to insert it in the setting because we can say that even if Maria killed Rosa due to Sakutarous' death, that's not the only reason.
Umineko doesn't help us. Yasu, differently from Maria who blamed Rosa for other things as well, insists she's doing it due to Battler only (Don't hate me. You guys didn't do anything wrong. If you're gonna hate, hate that guy who trashed his promise for 6 long years.). We can either say that Yasu is in denial or that the experiences she lived unconsciously twisted her so much that she could really kill for such reasons.

Her experiences still aren't depicted with the same amount of drama Maria's have.

Her life doesn't seem so desperate so her clinging to the promise Battler made doesn't seem to equate with how Maria clung to Sakutarou.

It's possible Ryukishi intended them to be one and the same or that for Yasu that promise was even more important that what Sakutarou was for Maria but that's not the feeling his work transmit.

If I've to compare Yasu with Maria or even Ange, Yasu doesn't come out as the one with the worst life when instead it's completely possible she was the one with the worst life.
It's just I get way more realistic moments of happiness for Yasu than for Maria and since Yasu hides behind the Shannon facade it's hard to assume she might not really be as happy as she might seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
From Dlanor's Forward in Our Confessions (previously translated by LyricalTwilight):

Without love, it can't be seen.

They are her words.
But I shall repeat them.

Love exists in everyone's hearts.

Her true tragedy was that she couldn't see it.
Interesting! I've forgotten that part but now I see how it's very fitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Well I did suggest a drastically different interpretation of Yasu's body that cannot be loved.
She has lethal health problems that are going to kill her soon anyway. Basically she's in the same situation as Kinzo.
It would have been an interesting idea (and it would tie Umineko more closely with '10 little indians') but I don't think it's the intended solution... though I personally favour it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
Although I will agree with most things in this post, this is where I draw the line. It's true that we know almost nothing for certain, but we can be at least 99% sure that Yasu had some reason for writing those stories with herself as the culrpit and hoped to give someone a message through those. So I think it's unlikely she would make them vastly different from the actual events. Prime's events should at least reflect some of the game boards' circumstances.
There are things though that I think she couldn't give away or that could be her delusions. While the fact that Kanon was seen at Jessica's school is proof of Kanon's existence, if Jessica had merely asked her to dress up as a boy and the stories were to tell this to us ShKanon would be revealed in Ep 2.

George might have had feelings for her but it's also possible Yasu is assuming he would go to lenghts that real George isn't ready to go yet. After all she always assume in her stories that everyone would have not much problems in being her accomplices but we can't be sure that's true.

If you assume that in Prime there was never a Kanon to begin with it, it becomes much easier to accept that Yasu could play two roles without troubles and without anyone recognizing her as she did it only in a story and not in the 'real world'.

Quote:
She does have such scars. There are vague implies that she shows it to Genji and the others in EP2 (Zombie Kanon scene). And I think it's also implied in other places, but I don't really remember any specific example.
I'll need to reread Ep 2 because i don't remember this then.

Quote:
The red scene doesn't necessarily imply that she just learnt at that very moment. Most probably, she takes out her frustration on Genji and Nanjo when they confess to her how she actually got it that wound
I considered this but in this case hope should have died in Yasu long ago. It's the difference of the drama between who's blind by... well nearly his birth and who becomes blind. It's always horrible to be blind but for the second there's also the trauma while for the other blindness was there right from the beginning.
It's still horrible but in a different way... though people can react differently to things so maybe this point is mooth and Rykishi can chose to have Yasu act as he prefers.

Quote:
No it isn't. It's just one of the key factors that make up her psychosynthesis. It's frankly hasty to call that the motive itself.
She's the one insisting that's her motive. You can say she's lying or that she's in denial but her words are what we're given.

Quote:
"Don't hate me. You guys didn't do anything wrong. If you're gonna hate, hate that guy who trashed his promise for 6 long years."
Quote:
But at least she wouldn't have snapped and got herself into the ShkanontriceXGeosicattler dilemma in the first place.
We can't really know if she wouldn't have snapped. Surely her life would have been different but she could have snapped anyway. Or not. It's all in a catbox.

Quote:
But at least he should let those who did understand it 100% without whacking their brains.
Exactly. Since he talked about how the motive was important he should have explained it better.

Quote:
Yasu says she doesn't have the right to blame Battler, which can be more frustrating than actually hating him. After all, she admits it was all in her head.

Battler sin isn't breaking the promise, it's not even remembering about it.
I don't really like to talk about it being a 'sin'. There's too much involved to make Battler really guilty.

Quote:
Nope, this isn't Battler's fault. He may have 'caused' this unintenionally, but this only means he spinned some gears without even realizing. I think his change of heart towards Beato has more to do with Rokenjima Prime.
I'm not saying it is, it's just how the game seems to present things at first glance. Battler is sinful for forgetting the promise and this push Beato to do something horrible but this didn't set them square as Battler apologizes to her.

Yes, probably in truth the apology is also tied to the fact MetaBeato didn't really kill people, though making him believe she did so was pretty cruel.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote