View Single Post
Old 2011-03-15, 21:08   Link #155
naikou
Slashy Slashy!

I would think that Ryukishi was skilled enough to pull it off well. The only reason I can think that lying in third person would be bad writing, is that it might be confusing. But Umineko was easy enough to follow.

And even still, confusing is not necessarily bad, there are many, many works of art which are both confusing and good. "2001: A Space Odyssey" does not explain itself well at all, but it is nonetheless great, based on "fan theories" (read: critical interpretations) about the work, even. "Ulysses" is often regarded as the greatest novel ever written, but it is confusing as fuck and features multiple conflicting perspectives. Its greatness also relies on critical interpretation (holy cow James Joyce was clearly a lazy hack because he didn't explain anything!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford
As for why it's cheap from a mystery perspective, I think I made a few posts on that topic already.
I don't recall your arguments. But you can't fairly say that something is "cheap" when the author tells you it is there. You can use twins, or secret passages, or whatever mystery faux pas you like, as long as you tell the reader about it. Isn't that what that "Sins of Father Knox" novel was all about?
naikou is offline   Reply With Quote