View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 16:31   Link #1095
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's where you are mistaken.

What made the scientific method superior to religion, isn't that it has less flaws; it's that the scientific method doesn't pretend it doesn't have any flaws.
The Scientific Method exists solely to change. To alter the interpretation in light of new data. When necessary, the scientific method can and would morph to fit new realities.

Religion claim to have all the answers. The Scientific Method is simply the promise that we would never stop looking for better answers.
I am certain I was not mistaken. I have been specifically comparing SCIENCE to religions, not the scientific method to religions. Both science and religions are systems, thus one should be comparing systems and not the method of arriving at the systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This is not about being right or being wrong; it is about being able to known when you are wrong. And Religion is inherently incapable of admitting error, because the rules are not suppose to change.
Unfortunately, that is the wrong kind of assumption to make. There are flexible religions that are supposed to change in the face of errors and changes, such as the initial state of Shinto (before we got the static State Shinto and all the problems that brought about). The belief that religions are incapable of admitting error is in itself an error, given that it ignores the development of religions. Just as Protestantism is a growth out of Catholicism, religions are capable of admitting errors (in terms of doctrines) and changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Okay, I can follow that though I think it can easily be used an excuse by some to ignore logic and the scientific method. I'd rather use the scientific method as my tool than the alternative.
Well, the basic premise of my thought is that the scientific method IS the superior way of THINKING, but that does not mean the main end result (science) is necessarily superior. Essentially, one would need to understand that the method is not necessarily the system.