View Single Post
Old 2008-02-20, 23:28   Link #235
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I've already argued against the whole notion of change because I want to know what he is going to change. But has anyone ever thought how politically effective Obama really is? How is he going to get things passed if people in congress won't agree with him? I think Hilary has better connections to get things passed and she has many similar views to Obama, so at least to me, this already makes her a better candidate.
He built a campaign that managed to not only challenge, but pretty much topple, Hillary Clinton's "inevitable" domination of the Democratic primaries within a matter of months. Before his rise, she was the Democratic candidate, and nobody else have much of a chance, to the chagrin of a large part of the country and the secret ecstasies of Mr. Limbaugh and his ilk.

And he did it while having to either wrestle control of the Dems' party machine from her or build up his own. It's a feat in organization + highly successful (and naturally opportunistic) PR campaign if you ask me. He opportunistically took to the disaffected wings of the Democratic party that did not accept Hillary Clinton and convinced a sizable portion of the independents -- regardless of actual voting records, of course -- that he is a moderate worthy of support. During primary season no less, when partisans almost by default have a bigger say than they deserve. Better still, he successfully achieved what was deemed essentially impossible in modern American politics: he convinced the youth to vote.

Smooth.

The question is: is this Obama showing his administrative and diplomatic skills or is it primarily the work of others?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote