View Single Post
Old 2011-12-29, 18:47   Link #656
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Sure, it cuts down on work. It also helps keeps things organized. Short version, long version...guess it doesn't matter since either can be interpreted as the reader wishes.
I was not trying to twist your words, I merely aimed to point out that keeping things organized on the surface level might not be what's called for when all it does is push the clutter into the existing threads as it happens here.

Quote:
The assumption that because moderators aren't frequent posters that we aren't engaged is flawed. At least in my case, I do read the threads a few times a week. I just don't post much because well....I got nothing to say.
I'm absolutely fine with you not posting as a fan if you lack motivation, that's not what I meant by engagement. Anyway, I'm not a spokesperson for anyone, so I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
As for the decisions of what is approved for thread requests and what isn't, yeah it's exactly like that. [...]
The point I was trying to make was that it helps to present these decisions in a way that avoids the appearance of ideas getting rejected more due to personal bias than any known rules or guidelines there may be. I think people generally expect what's not disallowed to get okayed, because that's how laws and regulations tend to work.

Quote:
In all cases, this isn't a democracy. So yes, it's an assertion of authority, and you're appealing to it. All moderators try to be a fair as we can, but what we say, goes.
Sorry, but while I do recognize it, I definitely am not appealing to your authority here, just talking to you as a person who might or might not be interested in my observations and ideas. I'm not asking you to do anything, just saying there are things I think you could do around here. As you've said, there are objective reasons for what goes on here, but I'm not a fatalist.

Quote:
I knew when I volunteered for the job that it wouldn't earn me many friends. I didn't volunteer for the fame, I did it to help the site as a whole. People can think what they want, but if the perception is that because we aren't always posting that we aren't keeping track of what is going on, they should rethink that position.
Why the underappreciated mod boilerplate? I don't know if people think that you're not keeping track, but OTOH if you have grievances against poster behavior here (as you seem to have based on your response to Shiek), then why not engage people about that on an ongoing basis instead of this (apparently) pent-up "we could show you/you're not entitled" talk now? I more or less agree with you about people not bothering to switch threads, so I personally wouldn't mind at all if the mods gently reminded people of that more often.

In any case, I think I'm just about done with my part here. My purpose was never to antagonize the sole mod who is at least somewhat visibly present around here, so if you feel I've done that, I haven't done a very good job expressing myself. I leave you with a thought I just had that appointing a "local guy" mod for this sub-forum might work well in increasing the engagement factor.