Thread: Licensed Skull Man
View Single Post
Old 2006-12-30, 00:17   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Skull Man

Production Company: BONES

Genre: Shounen cheese with a SciFi twist.

Expected Release Date: 2007

A Japanese might be more familiar with the likes of Ishinomori Shotaro, the original creator of the Skull Man that becomes a very popular manga in 1970. His featured character, Skull Man, is apparently one of the first anti-heroes seen in the manga. In 1997, Shimamoto Kazuhiko continues with Skull Man after getting a personal request from the legendary mangaka who was, at that point, just too ill to do the things he loved. I'm going to give this series a try for two reason: a) Bones is doing it, b) The director for this series is Takeshi Mori. The scriptwriter/designer is going to be done by Izubuchi Yutaka, who also storyboarded the action scenes for the Cowboy Bebop Movie. As a shounen-fan at heart, the importance of well animated action sequence can never be stretched enough in a shounen series, and since, this guy is involved, I'm expecting good animated action from the series as well. The following synopsis is taken from the 1970 version, courtesy of Wiki. Shimamoto Kazuhiko's version is a remake with his own art and story although the concept doesn't change much.
There are mass murders and catastrophes all over Japan, committed by a masked/caped psychic madman called the Skull Man, and his shape-shifting aide Garo (named after the manga ninja Garo created by Sanpei Shirato), who can turn into various powerful mutant monsters. The calamities caused by the Skull Man are investigated by the Tachiki Detective Agency, with the help of a young man named Tatsuo Kagura, the son of a yakuza in the Kagura Clan.
I'm not yet sure which version Bones intends to animate. I hope they choose Shotaro's version that is, apparently, much much darker. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by monir; 2006-12-30 at 01:20. Reason: corrected Director's info, thanks to Wao!!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote