View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 10:20   Link #13
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
It also looks like the profile visibility option doesn't work ...
You could argue it is a bug, but relentlessflame is correct in that it is working as designed. Only the design hasn't been well conveyed and the "bug" is that the options form was misleading to older users (those who joined the forum before the option was added).

When the option was added the default was set to "Members Only", because I thought that was the best option for new accounts being created. Partly it was for privacy and partly to stop spammers from joining and filling their profiles with links in visitor messages. Most bots (and most human spam teams) don't know to change the option because it is bespoke.

However, we didn't want to just change how the forum worked for existing users. Indeed some wanted it to stay as it was. Unfortunately this compromised meant I missed an important detail. The way the form looks if you don't have any value set in the profile option. If the default had been the same as existing users, it wouldn't have been a problem.

The forum software correctly sets default options for new profiles, but not existing ones. So while it said "Members Only", because that is the default, your profile didn't actually have the privacy setting set to anything at all, it was blank. The logic that decided if you can see the page was treating this lack of setting as it always had: "everyone can see this page". Changing the setting and saving would correct this.

I've since fixed the step I missed before that means the profile correctly reflects how the forum will handle the setting regardless of when you registered (i.e. everyone has a profile visibility set explicitly now). I've also changed the display logic to fail-to-private (so if a blank does creep in again it will fail to members only this time).

Oh and I've taken the liberty of changing your settings to Members Only. If you repeat your logged-out viewing test it should block as intended. My apologies for the confusion and any leak of information that may have resulted.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote