View Single Post
Old 2010-08-25, 17:52   Link #89
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
My favorite character is Kamina first and foremost because he is a man above all men and no one else in this series could ever compare. Even if most of what he did was inspire everyone else to take action, he was no slouch on the battlefield and fought even with fear well in his mind. Unfortunately, I was under this impression that this was single-choice only, so I didn't vote for him, thinking he'd already have a million votes by now. Come on, he's fucking Kamina.

Instead, I voted for Yoko. It goes without saying that she's got a damn nice figure (though at times, I felt the overemphasis was annoying), but the first thing I noticed about her was her personality. She doesn't get upset at silly things like lechery the way typical anime girls do, and she doesn't react to anything in an exaggerated manner. Her attitude and speech are both admirable and believable on every level, and I felt she was more human than the rest of the cast combined. I truly admire characterization on this level and won't hesitate to give props for it in any given anime.

Also, show of hands for everyone who preferred her pre-timeskip outfit.

I really liked Nia too. I mean, even with her ever-present naivety, absolutely everything she says and does is cute. She summoned her own brand of strength and courage when it mattered and acted as a complete counterbalance to this sausagefest of a testosterone-filled anime. I was also glad to see they gave her a nice body and sense of fashion after the timeskip. Still as much of a princess as she ever was.

I liked Viral mostly for his mech, fighting style, and badass attitude, but it was nice to see he had his own dreams and ideals (while unfortunately, his biggest one could never be accomplished) and that he wasn't above loyalty.

I enjoyed Simon's development pre-timeskip, but once he achieved the pinnacle of manhood, he became a predictable and boring heroic archetype. On top of that, he fights for woman he loves, loses her, does that tough guy shit and walks off like it's nothing, then goes off to become some fucking bum. Really, can they drag this charade on any further?

That covers just about everyone I care about.

EDIT: shit, forgot about Leite. Why do I like her?

She's hot! :P
Kamina, of course, would hold #1. He is a BAMF. Yoko, IMO, couldn't stop screaming fan service. I didn't really like her too much. Nia at times bothered me.. I just can't stand that little 8 year old voice sometimes. Not to mention she was kind of stupid as well. Simon was my #2. I've thought a lot about his decisions, and I've liked him more for it. I wouldn't say he's predictable, he just acted like Kamina. Notice the hair and attitude change? Yes, he fights for the woman he loves (manly) and IS SUCCESSFUL. He even knew beforehand that he would lose Nia if he defeated the Antispiral and made his decision that all of mankind should live on, even though he would suffer. He was a true hero. So yes, he loses her, but it was his decision to sacrifice his feelings for the greater good. No, he does not put on a "tough guy shit." He has his own way to cope with what happens. What the hell would you do after losing the woman you loved right after marrying her? Simon knows well that he cannot be the leader. He knows no politics, so he entrusts the power to those he knows will get shit done. Except Gimmy, I still think that little turd should not have the spiral core drill. If you watched the movie, you would know that he doesn't become a bum for no reason. Simon's original personality is being a bit of a loner. He fulfills Nia's dream of planting flowers all over the world. What's wrong with that?