View Single Post
Old 2011-01-07, 13:15   Link #79
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I can't remember if years and such were mention but i don't think it's possible for Tom to have been part of Fisher's crew unless fisher had a crew before the slave crew... Tom's building of the sea train and execution took place shortly after Roger's death. And considering Hancock's age, Fisher's attack and freeing the slaves however would have taken place a few years after that

D'oh, that's right, that little fact did slip my mind..... However, I still don't think Tom being held captive by the nobles is outside the realm of possibility. After all, notice that we've heard NOTHING about Tom being held in Impel Down (unless you count "Roche Tomson", but that's kind of a stretch). Maybe Tom's punishment for building Roger's ship was for him to be sent to the holy land instead of prison. Hell, that could even be the punishment for ALL merman outlaws. In fact, to lend credence to this theory, notice that we haven't seen ANY merfish prisoners in ID outside of Jinbei (I always did find Arlong's lack of an appearance in that storyline rather odd....). Maybe Jinbei's (former) Shichibukai status made him an exception to the rule that's normally reserved for the rest of his brethren.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Additionally, Tom, who "had" human children, would have never been a part of the bigotry that Tiger represented.

If he indeed joined Tiger, he probably didn't do so out of choice. He probably stuck with him because he'd have nowhere else to go (he certainly wouldn't have been able to go back to Water 7 since the government itself frequently commissions ships from there, and as I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure that Tom's sympathy for humans prevents him from being welcomed back to his homeland). Tiger's crew would seem to be the only option left for an outcast like him, even if he doesn't see eye to eye with the captain's views on humans......

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-01-07 at 13:26.