View Single Post
Old 2008-10-09, 08:32   Link #992
Raidiantx

There is simply more of a rationale for the untransformed macross battle carrier, which is not a bad design. I would say the macross carrier is more of an independent vessel, than the modern carrier, it has way more armour and firepower than its modern equivalent, and also has a fleet destroying particle cannon.

Well I guess shoji is really embarassed about his transforming flagship, otherwise he'd shown it more, and I do think its cool despite how unrealistic it might be lol, (me points at every other space opera there is).

On the topic of carriers, I still think if there was a war say between EU and the US, the US may just find that carriers could be undermined by the various weapons developed between WW2 and now. Anti-ship missiles are way more precise (was it the harpoon by the french?), powerful, and boasts good range. Easily fired from submarines, or a small frigate, and causes severe damage to most large ships.

Ships could be overated, we live in an era dominated by powerful precision weapons, in a war orbintal wepaons could easily be developed in a rush, and like others have discussed these would be the new dominant weapons.

I think carriers are here to stay for a long time, but I just think too many times have people thought that their dominant weapon would never fail. Remember the carrier has only proven itself during WW2, since then there has not been a war, or probably may not ever be one that can prove its disuse, especially since we have nuclear weapons on standby now, until then I am sure it would be useful as a uber expensive rescue ship and symbol of power.
Raidiantx is offline   Reply With Quote