View Single Post
Old 2009-06-11, 17:58   Link #23
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
I've taken flack from other people for being an anime fan in the past... I remember going into video shops and being made fun of by people because i bought anime...

But really it doesnt matter one thing ive learned gorwing up in america is that people will always look down on you if you do things out of the norm or are better than them at something. If your good in school, good with computers, good at art or have hobbies like anime, models and such fourth other people will look down on you .. but meh just keep doing what you like nobody else matters anyways.
Anything that goes against what 'society' has deemed to be 'normal' will probably be ridiculed. Though what is 'normal' constantly changes with people and time. It probably links to the nature of people to be wary of what is strange to them.

Personally I never really had any problems growing up. I was actually introduced to anime by friends (as in identifying it as a show with foreign origin). Ah the days before Bit torrent and trading disks with your friends . Though it probably also had to deal with the social culture of Hawaii as well. It has a heavy asian influence (we had live-action subbed Japanese shows waaayyyy before Power Rangers . Go Kikaida!) and after I became aware of anime I came to notice that there were a LOT of stores around that sold related products (stupid limited money...).
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote