Thread: Licensed Pretty Cure!
View Single Post
Old 2009-03-07, 11:29   Link #172
labsuit
hikki-neet

Dub impressions

I don't know if anyone's following this thread, but I just caught the first episode of YTV's (for now) Canada-only dub and I thought I'd give a few thoughts.
  • I missed the actual opening, but I heard the original theme in the next episode preview. Most of the music in the show is original, although the ending theme is different.
  • The voices suffer a little from Valley Girl syndrome. It's not as bad as Totally Spies, but just about every character sounds like they're about to say "Like fer sure, omigod" at the end of every sentence.
  • They kept a joke about Nagisa only getting love letters from girls.
  • The characters' names are Western, but Honoka's dog still has a Japanese name.
  • They changed what Precure say just before they do their finishing move. Originally they said something along the lines of "Our beautiful souls will purify your evil heart," and in the dub it's something like "We stamp out the darkness and replace it with light, we fight for justice and what's right." Yes, it rhymed. They also don't say "Precure Marble Screw," although I couldn't make out what they said instead.

According to Wikipedia, the dub was done by Blue Water Studios in connection with the Ocean Group -- not exactly an all star team. Their dub of Zeta Gundam was very poorly rated, and that was by people who LIKE dubs.

The airtimes seem to have changed a little from what ANN originally reported. I saw the show at 8AM Saturday, it's also on early Friday mornings, and again Friday afternoon. It seems unlikely to gain much of an audience at those times of day. Sailor Moon succeeded in a daily after-school timeslot, and that's where YTV put the awful magical girl knockoff Winx Club, so that's where Precure really belongs. I doubt it'll happen though.