Thread: Licensed Elfen Lied
View Single Post
Old 2004-12-16, 04:37   Link #1071
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Yeesh, and here I thought this whole "Lucy is cold blooded" issue was over with. There is no doubt that Lucy killed in cold blood, in fact, she killed with clear psychopathic tendencies. But like I said, animes aren't meant to be judged or measured with real life standards. When Lucy killed those families or random bystanders, the point being delivered from those scenes is display to the viewers the kind of personality Lucy has: Cold blooded and psychopathic. This is done without any forms of censoring like off-screen killshots or non-dismemberments so that the viewers can receive the best impression/impact/image of her killings.

Those dead people serves as a part of Lucy's personality/storyline developer, nothing more. The producers or the mangaka isn't going to think back later and go "oh yeah, what she did pretty much violated laws in every country in the world, let's punish her or something." When somebody said that he watched animes to escape reality, that's what he meant. It's not about what "should" happen to Lucy, if we bind her to real life laws and rules; it's about what "will" happen to her, but *without* all the real life references and considerations. And the truth is, if you watched the anime until the end, you probably developed an affection for Lucy, but much less for all those faceless guard or bystander ABCDs, and it is only natural for most of us to not want Lucy die or lose her powers (permanently at least).

Another important point is what Lucy did was REASONABLE, it's wrong, it's bad, it's downright sick and evil, but it's reasonable. That is, if *everything* in the anime actually existed, it would be *reasonable* for Lucy to do what she did. This serves well because it draws and immerses the viewers in a "believable fictional world" that allows us to connect with the characters and story even better.

Huh, I remember typing "Yeesh" then my fingers just moved on their own, I think I even used a SEMICOLON in there.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote