View Single Post
Old 2012-11-06, 11:34   Link #2164
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
At least in the past, once elections were over, I could regain my rational friends for a few years, but increasingly with the 24/7 news cycle, it's becoming a neverending election, even after a person "wins", and good friends continue their pointless back and forth non-stop stick-it-to-'em soundbites, without a break from one election day through the next. In so many ways I find the early promise of the internet that we all had in the early 90s as this vehicle for bringing the world together has done exactly the opposite.
I think Facebook and Twitter (Twitter in particular for enforcing this idea that all instances of communication must be within a certain number of characters or less) have done by far the most damage here. I miss the 90's when I didn't have to see the facebook and twitter logo plastered all over everything and news reporters reading tweets from random idiots thinking anyone gives a damn. In my case I just want real news and information from somebody that clearly knows what they are talking about. Is that too much too ask for from our society?

In any case I basically agree that our culture has metaphorically and perhaps literally taken a dump in the last 12 years. There used to be at least some charm and sense of dignity to western civilization, but not really anymore. Now it's just big loud and obnoxious and all about assaulting and insulting you with bad ideas be it our entertainment industry, our information industry, our politicians, everything about our society just feels disingenuous and misguided these days from the top almost completely to the way down where we can maybe find some solace in the company of friends and family. This is an election thread though so I'll best leave it at that.