View Single Post
Old 2010-08-22, 23:10   Link #5
Falkor

there's a couple of manga that comes to mind: (I get the feeling you might be already reading some of these, though)

Seishun Kouryakuhon (B-U link), written by AKIZUKI Sorata. there are only three chapters so far scanlated, but I felt so captivated by the romance and the characters. and yes, there's a certain coming of age feel to it. can't really explain it.

Akagami no Shirayuki Hime (thread at AS), currently my favorite manga. written also by AKIZUKI Sorata with twenty chapters so far scanlated. the main character is a very strong, intelligent and enthusiastic female. throughout the story she faces different ordeals and solves all her problems with great resolve and determination. she is surrounded with great characters, too. can't really say that it's coming of age, and I'm not doing a good job explaining why you should read it, but you should. :P

Sangatsu no Lion (March comes in like a Lion) (thread at AS), written by UMINO Chika (of Honey and Clover fame). the story is centered on a very young shogi player, as we explore his life and his interaction with other characters (mostly a family or two and a fellow shogi player/friend of the same age). you should definitely check it out. there's great character development and drama as well.

Amanchu! (thread at AS), written by AMANO Kozue (of ARIA fame). the story is about scuba diving and is centered on a group of friends and their school-life. There's a strong coming of age aspect, I think, as part of the story deals with one of the girls as she learns scuba diving. if ARIA is about finding meaning/beauty in the ordinary, Amanchu! is about having fun with the ordinary.

Chihayafuru (B-U Link). There's sadly only 5 chapters so far scanlated. this work strongly reminded me Hikaru no Go, but instead of go it's about playing cards (see here). the story is centered on a group of three friends who enjoy playing this game. you should definitely check this out.

Flat (AOGIRI Natsu
) (B-U Link). The story is centered for the most part on the interaction of a high school student and his very young cousin. can't say exactly that is coming of age, but it gives me that kind of feeling.

My Girl (SAHARA Mizu) (thread at AS). The story is centered on a single father and his daughter. it explores the family theme through their interaction, as they start to live together and face different ordeals.

Bakuman (thread at AS). coming of age I think. anime is coming out soon and it deals with a pair of teenagers who want to become mangaka while in high school. they go through different and interesting ordeals the moment they discover that being a mangaka is no easy job. one of the most interesting manga (about manga) I have read.

Angel Densetsu (thread at AS). very old and funny manga about a person misunderstood by his looks. coming of age, yes.

Baby Steps
(B-U Link). I thought I should include some sports because they usually have some kind of coming of age. it's about someone who wants to learn how to play tennis and faces different kind of ordeals in the process, all of which he solves with great dedication, effort and brains. you might want to give it a try.

Ice Revolution (thread at AS). another sports manga, though short and "unfinished". it's a about a boyish girl who wants to do ice skating. it's funny, yet interesting.

Overdrive. the manga/anime is about cycling. There's great character development, not only of the main character. coming of age, yes.