View Single Post
Old 2006-04-12, 08:54   Link #6
DaFool
Resident devil

Sweet, now enough time has passed that I can do away with first impressions and hold on to the more solid fare:

Title: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Rating: B+
Episodes Viewed: 5

For a show whose premise is pretty silly and much ado about nothing, the execution is brilliant. For every otaku thing that Soul Link did WRONG, this spunky series does it just RIGHT. Oh yeah you don't have to be a rocket scientist to get the jokes, but it sure would help.

Title: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Rating: A
Episodes Viewed: 4

7th Expansion writing + help from TYPE MOON + decent animation studio + haremload of Lucy / Psycho-Kaede's + mystery = BIG GRIN.

Title: Simoun

Manages to keep the nice Last-Exilish vibes that Garasu no Kantai does not. It's one of the best alternate-world mood pieces.

Title: Aria The Natural

Wow. For a low-budget piece, the direction and mood-setting is truly effective. Never fails to convince me that Life is Beautiful.

Title: Utawarerumono
Rating: B

Though the production quality took a nosedive, it seemed for a while that the writing would too, until they went all Warcraft (lol complete with suicide missions and Counter) and I became glued again.

Title: Yume Tsukai
Episodes Viewed: 1

Quite interesting, though it's toned down, I still like the weirdness.

Title: Black Lagoon
Episodes Viewed: 3

It's over-the-top action. But it has the brains to go along with the brawn. Practically a scathing commentary on contemporary society. And the loads of cussing just makes it even more flavorful.

Title: Nishi no Yoki Majo Astrea Testament

Solid adventure, now I'm pretty curious how such a society with beautiful architecture has such f-up people in it.

Title: Ah! My Goddess 2
Rating: C+

Well because I almost grew up on it. I can't live without it. Though it is a bit embarrassing to watch.

Title: The Third
Episodes Viewed: 2

Seems pretty decent for a desert sci-fi. Nothing outstanding but the 'good' in it is 'very'.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-05-03 at 14:10.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote