View Single Post
Old 2011-02-11, 20:35   Link #54
DangerMouse

The official site also revealed a couple more very key returning names

The animation character designer of the original Last Exile, Osamu Horiuchi, is back. So the adaptation of Murata's designs will hopefully be as amazing as they were in the first series.

And music composer Hitomi Kuroishi is also back from the first series, would be great if she could call in some of her Dolce Triade group again too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Spoiler for Scan:

Director: Koichi Chigira
Character Design: Range Murata
Production Design: Makoto Kobayashi
Series Composition: Kiyoko Yoshimura

Fam is the main character, the series is about her exploring the skies blahblahblah. The other character shown is called Jizel.
Thanks for the scan! Well that's not a problem, that was ofcourse the vague initial theme of the first series before they detailed what Claus and Lavie were about to get involved in. The official site is already apparently talking about a large scale conflict and large fleets so as hoped it would seem just like the first series the great steampunk grandeur of aviation theme is the makings of the great background setting. With something more epic/weighty in the forefront. With all the key staff back so far my only worry is the iffy/still kind of newcomer for series composition, but hopefully they are all pitching in like with the first series where Chiriga also had some story credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You mean after Prince of Darkness. Yeah, right.

Numbers are relevant especially that last one of over 1,000 units. Last Exile is a Western focused title which had a proper ending. I'm still betting it was picked to showcase their 3D talents.

Hopefully, they'll get the Range Murata character designs done better this time. Hated the Shangri-la adaptation of Range Murata's character designs.
Probably true, and may be a good thing for both 2D and 3D versions as showcasing their talents particularly in CG with the gorgeous aerial combat in an anniversary project was seemingly essentially the birth of the first ambitious Last Exile too.

I thought they were good as "Murata-inspired designs" so I personally liked them and they stood out for me in a good way among the anime characters we get each season so I certainly didn't hate them like you did but I agree they lost some of Murata's style in the transition, I guess Ishii's art just wasn't quite compatible with adapting Murata's particular style and especially his shading style since it was interesting, some of the closeup face shots really captured his particular look but the general look was more "normal" so it was more like Murata inspiration rather than his art come to life like what Horiuchi stunningly captured in Last Exile.

The good news is that I don't think this will be a problem with him back to adapt Murata's designs and awesome uniforms/etc. for animation for the new one as he was utterly fantastic at it last time.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-02-12 at 02:09.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote