View Single Post
Old 2012-12-11, 06:47   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I don't really like Ryunosuke (Yui Horie as a boy is "meh") but it's hard to argue with his reasoning. He exposed Rita's real problems and motivations with pinpoint accuracy. I know a few people like him IRL: unnecessarily blunt, callous, and insensitive, but very smart/talented and good at cutting through the baloney. Sometimes you need people who don't mince words AT ALL, although sparingly since that disdainful, i-don't-give-a-fuck-you're-all-idiots attitude just rubs me the wrong way. He's definitely not someone I'd hang out with if necessary, so good on Sorata for having the thick-skin to tolerate him. After all, he actually needs the guy to help him attain his goals.
I largely agree, although I don't think he's entirely insensitive. When he brought up the issues with completing the anime on-time, and some other people talked about working harder to get it done, he was pretty complimentary to some of them, making it clear that he appreciated their work and didn't want or expect them to do more.

Plus, when Rita tried to make up with him at the end of the episode, his response was similarly conciliatory (albeit drenched in nervousness since he doesn't like women).

But yes, I think Ryuno nails that real world high-level "computer nerd" personality as well as any character I've seen in anime. I know a couple guys in real life that are fairly similar to him. You have the same bluntness, the same annoyance at fakery, the same practicality, the same economy of speaking (they don't talk much, and tend to say only what they feel is necessary to say in the moment).

On the whole, this was a pretty good episode. It was maybe a little bit melodramatic for my tastes, but at least all the drama mostly made sense. And Shiina showed me a glimpse of something in this episode that I had been looking for from her. I get the impression that she truly understood what Rita was saying to her, which is good to see.