View Single Post
Old 2006-09-18, 13:28   Link #363
Mentar
Banned

I can't help myself but point out one hilarious discrepancy

It's evident that most of those people vociferously arguing for .mp4 as the allegedly more SAP-friendly format happen to originate from groups which fancy themselves to be "ethical" fansubbers, as in "stop distribution when licenced", "don't touch DVD material" etc.

Contrary to that, most people supporting the mkv container come from "evil wareZsubber" or "ripping" groups. They on the other hand, care very little about burn-swap-and-forget, and are more concerned about video quality issues.

Talk about ironies

Ronbo, as usual you're wrong. It's not the container - the xbox can play mkv releases just fine, as long as they're imposing the same limitations as nowadays mp4 releases: Hardsubbing (so no softsubs or attached fonts) and not too much of a strain on the CPU (so either ASP like xvid or very low AVC settings like no deblocking or cabac). In fact, many .mp4 releases out there aren't h.264 at all, contrary to what they may seem. Therefore, the evil isn't the container, it is the used featureset and the CPU requirements of the codec.

I guess the next SAP with full-fledged mkv softsub support will be a hacked xbox360. After all, the latest mplayer builds already support font extraction, and SSA/ASS support is also maturing. Or just pick any small shuffle computer with a DVD drive, which can be easily morphed into a full-fledged media center without ANY quality degradation.

Just a matter of time.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote