Thread: Defrag: A myth?
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-13, 11:44   Link #37
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Isn't that basically what *nix OS do? IIRC it partitions the space on the drive, and each part is put on a different partition (swap, user files, etc), or not? (I haven't had Linux installed for ages on my system now so I barely remember how it was).

I myself have my Windows done this way, to some extent (due to certain Windows limitations). Windows system files and the page file are kept on partition C (along with Doc&Set and a few other files/applications which specifically need to be on the same partition as the system files), Program Files and other stuff on a second one. It is just one hard drive, but I can definitely see less fragmentation on the OS/pagefile partition then with my previous setup which had all of them on one partition...
The Linux/Unix Root model is very well established. However, having your swap on the same hard disk as your main partition will yield not increased performance. You will get your regular thrashing with a swap file on the same hard disk/partition as your main information.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote