Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-07, 08:24   Link #3827
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i blame the obam admin for not checking this guys back ground more carefully. you would think after the daschle nomination fiasco, someone in the admin would take the vetting process more carefully.
I'm sure that there are other candidates who can take Van Jones's place as the "green jobs" czar (which is an odd title for which people came up, IMHO). The Obama administration - or anyone fielding people in the public's eyes really - needs to pre-vet its candidates before having them take on the work - or at the very least, ensure that the leaders of the parties fully support them in public beforehand.

2000 students (or so) at WSU with swine flu symptoms.
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AFP) – Some 2,000 students at Washington State University have reported symptoms of swine flu, university officials said, in one of the largest reported outbreaks of the virus on a US college campus.
There are about 19,000 students at the university, so that is a whopping 10.5% of the student population - not even counting those who are quietly nursing themselves back to health. Good grief.

Japanese government and private firms to tackle cell phone music piracy
Quote:
The Yomiuri Shimbun - The Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry and the telecom and music industries plan to jointly introduce a system to prevent cell phone users from downloading illegally distributed music files to their cell phones via the Internet, it has been learned.
Interesting idea, but how do you stop people who are not downloading from these music sites then? Also, what about music without the tags that get sent to the servers for checking? Let's say that I have a CD (100% legit) from which I want a music clip. It wouldn't have the tags, yes, or are we talking about changing software like iTunes for ripping CD's so that they add the tags automatically here?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!

Last edited by LynnieS; 2009-09-07 at 08:33. Reason: Added news story.