View Single Post
Old 2008-04-28, 08:01   Link #59
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Barring at least one Southern Cross character, name checking of Rick and Exedore and another of Max and Miryia's daughters showing up?
True, but they also made sure that Rick doesn't look anything like he did in SDF Macross, and that the word "Zentraedi" was never used, and so on. It seemed to me as if Harmony Gold was trying to avoid trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
They were also showing 'Transformers'. An earlier example would also include 'Speed Racer'. None of these ever reached the minimum required for syndicated broadcasting. Moreover, syndication does not justify the three shows being forcefully connected into one separate universe known as 'Robotech'.
Transformers was a largely American show, so they were airing it as it was being made. As such, it's prime focus wasn't the syndication market. Speed Racer aired in the late '60s, and I'm pretty sure that syndication worked a bit differently back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I doubt CM himself was aware of Robotech's eventual popularity, and HG unexpectedly struck gold. That is all. So now they claim ownership over the license anyway they can, even if their claim is absolutely and totally baseless.
I'm not so sure that Harmony Gold's really claiming ownership. While they've tried to do things with the Robotech property for a while now, they've also steered away from trying to claim much that's attributed to Macross itself - their legal standing is just too shaky to rely upon.

That they gave the rights to Warner Brothers surprised me quite a bit, but it's still unclear whether the movie will have much to do with Macross. I think that the Japanese companies are also waiting to see if it is. In any case, it's probable that if it does come down to a legal battle, it'll be with Warner Brothers, and they have awfully deep pockets for such a fight. The upside to all of this is that a legal proceeding can also clear up the rights issue once and for all - perhaps even allowing the other Macross works to get licensed (except for Macross 7 of course ).