Thread: Licensed Denno Coil (TV Series!)
View Single Post
Old 2007-12-14, 20:38   Link #906
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
Lightbulb

Amasawa.mp3

^^ First off I made a bit of musical fan-art. It started out as a glitchy minimal techno track, but then I was like why don't I derail this thing with glocks, strings, pizzicatos and voice-pads all Dennou Coil style? So that's what I did, and hopefully it should evoke a hazy Dennou Coil-like nostalgia.

Anyway, after much procrastination I finally got around to watching the rest and updating the wikipedia article and all that. Compared to any other anime, the final 1/3 was entertaining and mildly engaging, but personally it was a big letdown for me. As 7th observed months ago (IIRC) the show got too caught up in pushing the convoluted story and all these major revelations along. I enjoyed the show much more when it was about portraying the world of kids in regard to new technology, sometimes with heaps of excitement and other times with somber melancholy -- episodes like 4, 6 10,and 13 really did it for me.

The final 1/3 seemed to shed a lot of its subtle sensitivity and opted for fast-paced bombastic storytelling and comic book convolution. Ep 24 ("Kids who throw glasses away") offered a glimpse of what the ending should've instead been like IMO -- a convincing portrayal of the world of kids through the lens of sci-fi, not the ridiculousness of fighting off the villains including Mr. Means Justifies Ends and the Magical Manifestation of Our Negative Feelings**... all that felt like something I've seen in dozens of other anime. Not only was it pretty corny, it felt particularly out of place in an otherwise convincing series.

It sounds like I'm calling it the worst sh-t ever made, but I'm not. It was as gripping and entertaining as any decent anime ending, and much of it was brilliantly animated. I'm just saying there was a lot of unfulfilled potential in its tunnel vision drive to make an exciting ending.

When I first heard of the show, I thought it was going to be like Mitsuo Iso's Children's Night X 26, but well... at least half of the show turned out to be memorably brilliant. That by itself was worth all the hype and excitement.

Spoiler:

Last edited by te2rx; 2007-12-20 at 15:18.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote