View Single Post
Old 2012-11-14, 15:28   Link #3255
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
@Jinto I understand what you are trying to say, but my conclusion are based on the fact that human advancement has rarely been a gradual process, along the way there have been a genius that makes a big step in advancing science or technology. So i.e. without Einstein there would be no satellites in orbit and without newton I bet there would have been no landing on the moon. Maybe I am an optimist, nay, a fool, but I stand by my beliefs nevertheless.
That is true. But when you ask people, what they think, mostly based on popular believe... how the future will look like, then it will most likely be a different future.
There are many prime examples of old movies and literature that describe a future of things - that is actually history today according to the timeline - but still far far away future according to the technological progress. But at the same time they fail to predict the rapid progress in other fields. So, predictions based on (popular) believe are kinda fun. But thats it.

Of course there is always a chance for a game changing break through on a another field of science that seriously influences the progress of (many) other fields of science. But even then... if you have some technical knowledge that allows you to see the road blocks on the way... and you see a planet sized road block on that way, you can estimate, that the chances are rather dim for an occurence of such a significant break through in a field of science to overcome it.