View Single Post
Old 2006-10-22, 02:36   Link #278
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
The nosey rider behind Millais is wearing formal hunting attire, usually worn during fox-hunting and other such reprehensible pursuits of the landed gentry in Britain. Full marks to the staff for observing British cultural absurdities.
I guess their main concern (rather than cultural exactitude) was to portray an aristocratic and elitist society comparable to the image we have of it, also conveyed by pictures we have of high colleges and schools like Eton, Oxford, Cambridge, etc, etc. Whether such a picture is obsolete or inaccurate to the country where it originated from doesn't really matter to the director, I guess, as long as stereotypes are passed over and easily identified.

That and that shot in the OP about Lelouch riding a horse - it just screams 'old-money folk', not 'retro', 'stupid' or whatnot. A large part of the audience won't care past their recognizing the said image.

All we need now is seeing the Britannian Parliament convening with people in wigs and robes to complete the big picture. That and a 'Rule, Britannia' song.