View Single Post
Old 2012-11-23, 05:19   Link #163
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
That being said, her name does strike me as a bit out-of-place compared to the other characters. Especially if they have been living in a closed society for so long one would think that such names would have fallen to the wayside in favor of more traditional (and simplified) names. Considering that she has been singled out for having something to do with . . . well, something unfortunate . . . makes me think that although I could be perfectly wrong, haha.
Well, it's 1000 years in the future, what is "traditional" for us is pretty much ancient for them... Besides, the name "Maria" is not something extraordinary even now (Christianity having a pretty long history in Japan), I imagine in 1000 years it will be even less of a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
@Rosa...: They skipped some and toned downed a lot more background events and info (IMHO)...
As I already told you... The whole Satoru x Shun thing happened during the timeskip so we never actually saw it develop. Saki being the first person narrator means she can only talk about things she witnesses or has knowledge of. Given that the novel is written as a sort of memoir she has hindsight, and of course she's not stupid, but it's not like she can talk about 12 year old Satoru and Shun doing stuff in private unless either of them tells her about it. Also, they were TWELVE. Little kids with little kid mentality. Even Saki's own feelings for Shun amounted mostly to a crush. Satoru and Shun were good friends, and we can assume that the two boys also did the whole cuddling/petting/kissing thing because everyone did it. After the summer camp adventure there was like one or two pages talking about all the changes that happened during the timeskip (physical changes, hormones kicking in, etc) and this is where Satoru x Shun is first mentioned. "What changed the most during these two years was the relationship between Shun and Satoru [insert detailed description of their earlier friendly relationship that we barely saw anything of, and how it changed into Satoru being totally in love and how Shun took it, Saki's own feelings on the matter, etc. etc.]" I think the anime could've spent more time on Satoru being like a kicked puppy for a while after Shun dumped him, and the bad animation didn't make it clear how much it hurt Shun to talk to Satoru like that, but other than that... *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
@Kuromitsu: You are worse then Solace making me download the novel (and not waiting 10 days to buy it), instead of just spoiling the crap out of the novel subjectively
Well, it's not like 10 days will make much of a difference (2 cours show, remember?) but if you're so into pointing out (real or imaginary) differences between novel and anime it would certainly help to at least skim the novel first.......

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-11-23 at 05:41.