View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 19:45   Link #8
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's one thing if we on the "inside" know the actual labels and distinctions, but we need a term to explain what this "mega-genre" is to the outside world. If you start confusing people with all the myriad Japanese terms (which, again, exist because there's such a large diversity in Japan), it'll only hurt understanding. If I call Da Capo an Adventure Game (for example), they'll think it's like Zelda (an "Adventure Game").
I don't know if you've noticed this, but "outsiders" are already being fed that "myriad" of different terms. ANN likes to vary between them. Lately they've been sticking to terms such as "adult PC game", they've used "visual novel" for labeling AIR and Higurashi no Naku Koroni, also "dating simulation" some time ago. I've actually found a news entry with the term "erotic adult PC dating simulation game". ^^;
Quote:
For all intents and purposes, we use "Visual Novel" as this banner label now (hence visualnews.net, visual-novels.net, etc...), which maybe incorrect, but I think we need something... Otherwise, we're just being overly-geeky by sticking to the Japanese terms just because they're Japanese -- IMO...
But these are Japanese games. It's good to remember that they will always be a niché of a niché of a niché. The ones looking to cross over to this side will have to do some hard digging by themselves before they'll even have a chance to stumble upon the efforts of this small group of passionate otaku. I don't see much sense in establishing a sup category term, especially not some twisted creation that will haunt us years from now. Then again I really don't see any sin in labeling AVGs as "visual novels". My suggestion was grossly addressing the ones present in this topic.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote