View Single Post
Old 2012-06-02, 01:31   Link #17
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Nevertheless, what sets Okada apart is her success at zeroing in on industry demand. She's in tune with the tastes of modern otaku (I don't think the style and direction of her writing is any coincidence), can structure a show well, dabbles in multiple genres, gets along with the producers/directors (most of them anyway ), and feeds the industry's demand for large quantities of shows on tight schedules. I suspect her way of working has led to some skewed perceptions.

As with prolific directors and production studios, Okada sells dependability. It's really the type of business savvy that brought Akiyuki Shinbo and J.C.STAFF (primarily through head producer Yuji Matsukura) into prominence. All are capable, but they ultimately succeed by catering to specific industry wants.

The iron is hot, so Okada has every reason to strike while she can, especially when it has worked out so well.
I think you hit it on the head. Combine that "zero-ing" in with the fact that, imo when she is involved, it tends to be better than you're average garbage. Most of the time anyway. Black Rock Shooter and Fractal you don't belong in this category . That's a lot of the reason why I think Okada is "selling out", because she can be very good, if she wants to be, but at the moment, there is absolutely no reason to be.

Not everyone is Yoko Kanno or Shinichiro Watanabe who have already proven themselves in the past and have large pockets to the point where they seem to be making Sakamichi no Appollon "because they can" regardless of the fact it's likely going to bomb.

Still, Okada needs to take a break. It's getting to a point where her writing is just god awful at times.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote