View Single Post
Old 2008-11-13, 23:11   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
For those who don't know what euthanasia is like, as someone who provides "pastoral care" (read - consoling and kind words - but I'm no nurse - I'm not even employed by the hospital!) It's actually rather painful. It's usually administered as an IV jab. The poison is not exactly anywhere near the fast-acting of Zyklon B in WWII. Nowhere near. It's so slow, it can take as much as 30 min in cases to kill.

The patient, while trying to achieve a 'merciful death", has to suffer just before dying. Compare this to someone who dies naturally. There is a huge difference. As far as i know, euthanasia is usually an order from the patient, not family/friends/doctors. The family has no choice but to accept. The doctor has no choice but to follow orders. I have no choice but to see the patient suffer more than ever.
While I don't know what standard procedures are for euthanasia, I'm willing to bet that multiple methods are employed and that they aren't as painful as you're making them out to be. Hell, in the United States we have laws about how animals (such as those used in research) must be heavily anesthetized before having serious operations performed, many of those operations resulting in the animal being killed. Given that there's such a stigma against animal suffering, I have a very hard time believing that euthanasia could be legal if human suffering (physically) were involved.

As to dying naturally - well, let's hope that none of us ever die during a battle with cancer while undergoing chemotherapy. That's dying naturally, but the pain and agony (according to my grandmother, who died while undergoing chemotherapy and probably would have opted for euthanasia if it were available) is terrible.

Quote:
It's painful for the family too, but it's a choice they have to accept.
The death of a family member would be painful for anyone. In general, euthanasia cases are not those where someone who needs a serious operation but has a good chance of survival and living for many more years requests death. This is generally for people who have a very unlikely chance of survival, or who are already reaching the end of their life and then encounter a big complication.

I think there are two types of thought that come into play here: those who feel that life should be as long as possible; and those who feel that life should be as pleasant as possible. I fall into the latter category. For example, suppose you reach a ripe old age and then develop something - let's say it's cancer. If you remain untreated you'll probably only live for another year, but you can live in your house, go where you want, and at worst you'll only experience moderate discomfort (and that isn't even guaranteed). The other option is that you can go to the hospital to undergo operations and chemotherapy - you'll probably be in the hospital for about a year, and the chances that you'll be cured completely are unknown. Your total lifespan is also unknown. You might end up spending your final days in that hospital, confined to your hospital bed and ward, feeling queasy and ill nearly every waking moment. Which option appeals more to you?

If you feel that you'd rather extend your life as long as possible, then that's your philosophy and of course euthanasia goes counter to that. If you'd rather live out your last days in peace, it doesn't indicate that you're a supporter of euthanasia, but you might be open to it.

As far as the suffering it would place on a family, I have mixed feelings about that. I am sickened by families that view an elder member as little more than a trophy - they do not seem to care about how much suffering this person goes through or what their wishes really are, so long as they are alive. If they truly cared for the person then I'd imagine that they'd be in agony no matter what: they'd be sad if that person passed away; they'd be sad to know that this person was physically and mentally suffering at all waking hours. So, ultimately, I feel that euthanasia is the individual's decision. They should be given a mental health examination to ensure that they are of proper mind to make such a decision, and they should be given a week or more between the initial request and the execution of that request. As far as I know those are relatively standard procedures. If you don't like euthanasia, then when your time comes, don't do it. Why force your opinion on others?

And because someone always brings it up: if a doctor is not comfortable with performing euthanasia, then they should not be obligated to do it. As far as I know, most hospitals/laws allow for doctors to pass on the duty if it goes against their beliefs or makes them uncomfortable.