Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll To Love Ru
View Single Post
Old 2008-09-01, 15:51   Link #1018
relentlessflame

*Administrator

You know, I really didn't want to play this card again, but I'm starting to get pretty curious. Are there really a whole lot of shounen romantic comedies that aren't in a lot of ways like this? A lot of people are talking of plot and progress, but this isn't a romantic drama. It's more in the vein of your Love Hinas, or Girls Bravos, or Nagasarete Airantous, or what not (you can go even further back, I guess, if you want). As soon as there's any notable progress, it's game over, and the whole point of a traditional shounen romantic comedy is to introduce as many heroines as they reasonably (or even unreasonably!) can and prolong the final decision as long as humanly possible.

I totally get that the manga readers are disappointed that the anime isn't a more faithful adaptation (has it really been so much more plot-centric, though?), and I also get that not every episode concept is a "hit"... but has the increase in romantic dramas over the last few years increased people's expectations for plot in romantic comedies that much? Maybe it's the fact that a lot more shows are getting the 12/13-episode treatment nowadays that causes 26-episode shows to feel dragged out? Or perhaps this is a lot of people's first series in this genre to begin with? I have to admit, I'm sort of curious. A few years back, I think a show like this would have been considered more "par for the course", but clearly times change (if this forum is anything to base these sorts of observations on).

I'm also sort of thinking that this show's pacing is such that they may be setting it up for a season two later. As a 52-episode series, I think the level of "plot progress" may be even more fitting. We'll see if DVD sales can maintain their current level, I guess...

Anyway, guess I'm just curious as to why people are so vocally disappointed in this show when I don't see it doing anything so out-of-the-ordinary from my perspective. Who knows...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote