View Single Post
Old 2011-05-19, 04:12   Link #185
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Are you sure? 0_o
Most of your points (and assumption) there also surround whether Menma really exist or not....
Eh, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that Menma being a hallucination or ghost didn't matter anymore in my conclusion there, and I even speculated that there would possibly be no revealing of the answer at the end of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Realism is not about being real.
Realism (noun)
...a way of thinking and acting based on the facts of a situation and what appears to be possible, rather than on hopes for things which are unlikely to happen.
The key concern in any work of fiction is plausibility. Without establishing a plot that is plausible, suspension of disbelief becomes that much harder and that, in turn, makes it difficult for viewers/readers to enjoy the fiction, particularly fiction that seeks to be "realistic" rather than "fantastic".

And, pardon me, I just find it incredibly implausible for an otherwise normal guy to regress into cross-dressing just because he misses a dead friend terribly. It's the kind of plot device that works only within the sphere of anime. If I were to show AnoHana to viewers who are unfamiliar with anime, I am 99% certain that Yukiatsu's predicament would draw far more WTFs than sombre understanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I agree. The way the story is set up is clearly manipulative and a far cry from realistic circumstance. I find it implausible that anyone from this little group of friends hasn't been able to move on after so many years. Let's be clear on this, AnoHana is set up as wish fulfillment for otaku with darkness in their hearts because it tugs at the possibility that their peers who appear to have moved on to greater goals in life are still stuck in that same emotional rut as the rest of them.
"Implausible". Apparently friendship doesn't work the same way for you, so don't stereotype yourself now. As I mentioned in my first post of this show, I also had a close friend among a group of friends who passed away, a couple years ago. Me and another friend visit his grave at least 2-3 times every year, and it is still ongoing, even though that other friend has already married a year ago. Seeing that we are all guys, I'd imagine the feelings could be more complicated if that friend were a girl. Why do you think we're doing that? Because we did't just move on in the sense that "oh, he's dead, okay. Just another person disappeared from this world". We moved on in lives alright, as the majority of the characters in Anohana did, but our feelings didn't just "move on". That deceased friend will always be with us - in our thoughts, in our conversation, in our daily lives.

Now, is crossdressing as the deceased friend going a bit too far? Is seeing a hallucination of your deceased friend a bit too much (let's just assume she's a hallucination here for argument's sake)? Maybe. But, sreaming out loud for God's sake, this is an anime. This is a drama. We have seen way more unrealistic stuff in other animes, we have seen way more dramatic elements in other dramas, so what is up with this talk about realism? What is realism to you anyway? Something that you have to have experienced, something that you have to be feeling?

As for Memna's setting, my comment so far is: she's acting like her age when she died alright. Could the character be better designed? Maybe. But I definitely wouldn't want to see her appearing all mature, i.e. being a mature character guiding her friends. Now that would be bad. Her appearance alone has already served the purpose, it's up to the living characters to figure out the rest themselves.