View Single Post
Old 2011-05-19, 05:19   Link #187
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Are we going to reduce this to a sob story, trading mutual woe-is-me experiences to justify our points of view?

I lost my father, in my early 20s, when I was still in university, just as our relationship as father and son was turning for the better. I carry regrets that will stay with me for as long as I live.

So... don't go around dissing people, thinking they have not experienced as much "pain" as you do. That said, my condolences, of course.
I said that because a certain someone here suggested that the ones enjoying this show are otakus with darkness in their heart, not being able to move on in their lives (which is not true for the characters anyway). I didn't start it. *raise both hands up with innocent look*

Besides, my point was - and it's a point in general, not directed to you, TinyRedLeaf - just because you can't find yourself feeling the same as the characters feel, it doesn't mean it's not realistic. Don't stereotype yourself. I find myself understanding the characters' feelings, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Poppo maybe a bit too happy-go-lucky, Yukiatsu maybe a bit too indulged in his memories of Menma... other than Tsuruko, they are all "a bit over", but that doesn't make it unrealistic. It just becomes a bit more dramatic, that's all.

Quote:
Precisely my point. None of the major plot devices driving this show's tragedy would work outside of anime. AnoHana is effective as anime drama, but does not have, in my opinion, sufficient legs to carry it beyond the insular confines of this genre. In that sense, I strongly feel that much of the praise it is getting is unjustified.
Other than the dramatic settings (and geez, it's not that dramatic. Now Yukiatsu is just crossdressing - what if he acted like a girl too? Pretending to be like Menma more than just the outlook? Are you going to curse this show if you haven't already?), I find this show pretty realistic so far. I don't get what wouldn't work... the hallucination/ghost? Friends who don't go crazy after finding out one of them is a crossdresser?

Quote:
For a start, watch something like Colorful, recommended by Reckoner, who, as far as I know, also enjoys AnoHana, much more than I do anyway.

Similar devices, involving the supernatural and the spiritual, but used vastly more effectively, because they don't dominate the story, but rather enable plot progression without distracting from the drama unfolding onscreen.

That's the kind of "realism" I enjoy, which I find lacking in AnoHana.
To be honest, I don't see how the hallucination/ghost is dominating the show. Screentime-wise she's getting quite some, but she's not really the plot-pushing device. As I said already, her appearance alone has already served her purpose, acting as a opportunity for something to happen to her group of living friends. So far there hasn't been any major change to the characters yet - when they do, I would expect more screentime for them gradually.

Quote:
Again, I'm of course fully cognisant that all of our arguments stem from subjective views. But if viewers are not willing to open their perspectives to accept criticisms, then there is little room for discussion.

Which is why I normally avoid such sub-forums. The way the fanbase for such forums are built, there is usually not much space to accommodate different views. Discussion usually descends into unproductive "us"-versus-"them" debates.
Erm, same words returned to you. I admit I'm posting in this show's thread because I like the show, and usually I will finish the show once I decide to keep it unless it becomes really unbearable somewhere along, but it doesn't mean I will neccessarily end up finding it a good show just because I like the beginning. To me, Anohana got a good start, it's climbing, and I will give my criticism if it ever goes downhill like I did to some other shows. In that sense, I'm definitely on the more objective side - my opinion might change, while it seems you already got your judgment down for this show.