View Single Post
Old 2009-03-04, 08:34   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
now we have like 40- 60 new series churning out every year which is quite high.
You're off by a factor of four or so. AniDB lists 209 non-hentai series that were released sometime in 2008 ("synonyms" excluded). In 2007, the comparable number was 232. These are both considerably ahead of 2003 though, when the count totalled 177.

As for the rest of the article, it catalogues a variety of problems facing the studios and R1 licensors that most of us here have known about for some time now. Remember that major networks like TV Tokyo are primarily interested in megahits like Pokemon or Naruto that can be turned into long-running cash cows. I have no doubt that fansubs cut into profits for shows like Naruto; whether they matter for something like Hataraki Man is another story altogether. I'd also guess that Iwata is more concerned about the drying-up of demand for anime from networks like Turner than whether he can cut a licensing deal with Funi to sell a few thousand DVDs. If Funi thinks it can make a profit by licensing a series like Oh! Edo Rocket, even in this supposedly adverse climate, you know there's more to the story than "fansubs are evil; the end is nigh."

I found the hand-drawn vs. computer-generated argument silly; content is king, particularly for the most-popular properties. Presentation styles matter only to the aficionados.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-03-04 at 08:54.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote