Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-07, 21:17   Link #2822
Felyndiira

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Tell you something funny, I don't think there will be as much complaint if it's Hisa or Yumi instead of Harue who manages to gather these info.
I think there would.

Let's compare this to, say, the quarterfinal captain's match in the main manga. Toyone's abilities were purposely hidden from prying eyes, and as a result, when she revealed them, everyone's reaction was one of surprise - once for each ability, in fact. Kyouko didn't even believe the ability at first since it was never on the records, and thus fell into it multiple times. Similarly, when Kasumi revealed her own one suit ability, it took a while before any of the other three players figured out what was going on. All of this is appropriate for what hidden or hard-to-notice abilities should be like.

In Achiga, aside from all of this being an eleventh hour power, powers that are explicitly stated to be hard or impossible to notice (Mairu/Himeko), should be impossible for just one person to pick up on without knowing where to look (Sumire), and stuff that no one else should possibly know (Awai) somehow can't escape her eyes. Also, somehow, she's the only one who knows! And Kuro's skill remains stagnant, as if for some reason she's still depending on her doras despite visual proof that she can do nothing against skilled players - almost as if Harue just gave up on her and is just making tentative efforts.

All of this, of course, after a pretty lengthy drama where the Achiga team suspects that their coach has abandoned them. That means that either all of the Achiga girls (especially Yuu, since her flashback was explicitly in Achiga's campus) are forgetful enough to not even remember that their coach was prepping them against Shirotodai players, or...I can't even find another explanation for this >.>.

If Hisa/Yumi suddenly started knowing about things like this or acting blatantly sue-ish with no explanation, then yeah, I think we would call BS on that as well. However, Hisa and Yumi's analysis were typically very consistent, and never exceeded what a observant person might gather after viewing someone's past records. Hisa is a sneaky player and a sneaky trainer, not a god. Harue seems more like she just suddenly awakened her omniscience off-panel after 12 full chapters.

(It doesn't help that Achiga's mahjong games, so far, have all been people throwing more shining finger at each other. The main manga is very much about mahjong, and uses the actual game rules to deliver more insights about the character. Achiga, at this point, is as much about mahjong as Prince of Tennis is about a father and son's relationship.)

EDIT: Baidu definitely suggests that Monkey has some sort of imagine breaker ability. Still, I'd rather wait for Yuriproject - I've learned my lesson on how trusting random commentary on Baidu isn't always a good idea =p.

Last edited by Felyndiira; 2013-02-07 at 21:32.
Felyndiira is offline   Reply With Quote